ROW & Infrastructure Permit Applications

Right of Way (ROW) permits are issued to assure state and county standards are being met and safe and proper methods are being practiced and achieved during construction operations and/or other activities within county ROW.  These permits ensure all construction within the existing ROW is properly reviewed, inspected and conforms to all known construction standards as set in place by various Federal agencies, the Colorado Department of Transportation and the Board of County Commissioners.

Note:  For larger projects requiring engineering review please see the Development Engineering Submittal Requirements.

Access Permit (ACC)

Access permits ensure all access points are safe, all culverts are properly sized for drainage and that they are installed to conform to all County construction standards.

These applications are now available on our E-Permit Center under 'Infrastructure Permit' (Note: This is not the same as the INF application below).

Floodplain Use Permit (WET)

This permit is issued when surface development occurs within a 100-year regulated floodplain as designated by FEMA.

Oversize/Weight Move Permit (OSL)

These permits allow oversize/overweight vehicles (vehicles, with load, that are longer than 70', wider than 8'6", higher than 13' access to unincorporated Adams County roadways.  Any vehicle that exceeds 14' in width must travel between the hours of 10pm & 5am when on county roads.  These permits do not authorize a vehicle to be overweight.  Overweight vehicles must redistribute their load or use additional axles as set forth by the Colorado Department of Transportation.  The Adams County Traffic Department requires a minimum of 48 hours to review all OSL permits.  Click here to view a map of weight restricted bridges in unincorporated Adams County.

Underground & Above Ground Utility Permit (UTL)

This permit is issued for any individual street cut, trenching, road bore or main line extensions of water, sanitary sewer, gas, electric, telecommunications or storm sewer effecting the infrastructure of the county ROW.  This permit is also required for monitoring well development, soil test bores and potholing for line locates.  Depending on the size and scope of the project an engineering review may be required.  See Development Engineering Submittal Requirements below.

Clearing and Grading Permit (GRD)

This permit is required when grading activities occur on private property and the total area of disturbance is to be 3,000 square feet or greater, or the cumulative dirt moved exceeds 50 cubic yards. The import of fill material in excess of 10 cubic yards requires additional permitting and is not approved under the GRD permitting process.

Infrastructure Permit (INF)

This permit is issued for new roadway construction and roadway improvements; bridges; curb, gutter, and sidewalk; cross pans, inlets; traffic control plans; etc.  Onsite drainage infrastructure, such as water quality and detention facilities that were reviewed and approved with an Engineering Review Application, must also receive an INF permit to commence construction, if said improvements were not a part of a subdivision development. See Infrastructure Permit for Subdivisions below.

Infrastructure Permit for Subdivisions (SUB)

This permit is issued to cover all civil site construction work and public improvements. It is reviewed and approved with a Subdivision Engineering Review and required under a Subdivision Improvements Agreement (SIA).SIAs are approved by the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC).

Insurance Requirements

Contractors must provide a Certificate of General Liability Insurance to the county prior to permitting.  Contractors disturbing the infrastructure within county Right of Way must also provide to the county a Bond Certificate.  Information regarding the county's insurance requirements for Right of Way permits can be found here.

Development Engineering Review and Requirements (EGR)

If the project(s) requires in-depth engineering review for conformance to County Development Standards and Regulations, a separate Engineering Review Application is required prior to the submittal of infrastructure permit applicaiton. Examples of submittals that require Engineering Review Applications are storm drainage studies and plans, traffic impact studies, public roadway designs, phased erosiona nd sediment control plans required for MS4 permits, etc. See Appendix A of the Adams County Development Standards and Regulations for Engineering Review Applications and submittal procedures.

This review includes engineering submittals such as drainage reports, traffic impact studies, street construction plans and technical review of subdivisions.  Development Engineering review fees can be found here.

For permits that require an Engineering review, the following items must be submitted:  two (2) copies of the proposed site plan, two (2) copies of all necessary design/construction plans and reports, one (1) copy of the Adams County Development Engineering Review Application completed by the applicant and one (1) electronic copy of all submittal items.  Incomplete submittals will not be accepted. 

Stormwater Quality Permit (SWQ)

The intent of the SWQ permit is to ensure that developers and builders are in compliance with state and federal stormwater regulations for construction activities. The county's goal is to provide compliance assistance and aid in preventing the potential for State and EPA enforcement fines due to violations of stormwater regulations governing construction site operators.

Failure to obtain a SWQ permit for applicable projects will result in delays in the issuance of grading, right of way and/or building permit. Developers and builders should therefore plan ahead when preparing to apply for construction permits that may require an associated SWQ permit.