Why do you need to see the original note?

It is required by law. The duties of the Public Trustee are set by state statute. If the original promissory note has been lost, a Lost Instrument Bond must be furnished as a replacement. The Public Trustee may accept a request for release of deed of trust without production of the original note only when the owner of the evidence of debt (the lender) meets the requirements of certain financial institutions as provided by the Colorado Revised Statutes.