Chemical Spill Reporting

In Colorado, local emergency response agencies must be notified of all hazardous substance incidents. Listed below is Colorado’s detailed spill response reporting requirement.

Releases from Fixed (Stationary) Facilities

The Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) Title III require facilities to report releases from fixed facilities. Fixed facilities must immediately report any release that exceeds the reportable quantity for that specific chemical to the agencies listed below. Refer to the SARA Title III List of Lists, available from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for the reportable quantity. The party that owns the spilled material must immediately notify the following agencies or organizations:

  • National Response Center (NRC);
  • Colorado Emergency Planning Commission (CEPC), which is represented by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE); and
  • Colorado Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).

In addition to telephone notification to the NRC and CDPHE, you must also send written notification describing the release and associated emergency response to the CDPHE and the LEPC.

NOTE: If you are reporting a chemical spill within Adams County, Colorado, please fill out the Chemical Spill Report Form, then call the Adams County Office of Emergency Management Duty Officer at the 24-hour pager number, 720.521.2182.