Permit Requirements and Fees
A permit is required when you construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system or when you construct, place or modify a sign. Projects that require or do not require a building permit can be found here.
Building permit fees are based on the valuation of the project. The valuation is the total cost of the materials and labor. Some projects are calculated using a cost/square foot equation.
If you need to request the cancellation of a building permit and refund of fees, please use the form below.
All contractors doing work in Unincorporated Adams County are required to be registered as a contractor before pulling a permit.
General Contractors: Adams County offers 4 classifications of general contractor licenses:
- Class A: Erect, add to, alter orrepair any building or structure, in all occupancy groups.
- Class B: Erect, add to, alter orrepair any building or structure not over two (2) stories in height, in group B, M and R occupancies.
- Class C: Erect, add to, alter orrepair any building or structure of a non-structural nature, in group M and R occupancies
- Class D: Any specialty contractor including, but not limited to, plumbing, electrical, siding, fences, glass and glazing, insulation, and heating.
Our E-Permit Center has just released the new Contractor Licensing Module! The link to the application below and all documents will need to be uploaded through your E-Permit Center Account. We no longer accept emailed applications.
Once you have logged into your account, you will need to select the "New" dropdown and choose "Contractor License". Please allow 24-48 hours for confirmation of registration
Adams County Building Safety requires the following documents to be successfully registered:
- Driver's License of Authorized Person(s)
- General Liability Insurance - Requirements
- Certificate Holder:
Adams County Building Safety
4430 S. Adams County Parkway, Suite W2000B
Brighton, CO 80602
- Certificate Holder:
- Licensure from any Colorado municipality OR ICC Certification
- Colorado State Contractor/Colorado Master License (Electrical and Plumbing Contractors ONLY)
NOTE: There is no fee to be licensed with Adams County Building Safety
For help on how to start an account with the E-Permit Center, please click here.
Contractors must provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance to the county prior to permitting. Contractors disturbing the infrastructure within county Right of Way must also provide to the county a Bond Certificate. Information regarding the county's insurance requirements for Right of Way permits can be found here.