E. 58th Avenue Washington to York
On Monday, Aug. 1, Adams County began the East 58th Avenue from Washington to York Improvement project. The project entails widening and making infrastructure, accessibility, and drainage improvements along East 58th Avenue from Washington to York. Other work includes intersection upgrades at Franklin and relocating utilities and water facilities. The work will be phased, but phasing will overlap.
Phase I – August 2022 to October 2023
Crews will begin utility work at the east end of the project from Franklin to York. Work includes utility relocations, tree removal, staking, and miscellaneous work. Starting in late August, East 58th Avenue will change to a single lane eastbound direction only alignment from Franklin to York. No westbound traffic will be permitted within this single lane configuration. Crews will begin water, sanitary and storm sewer work, wall construction, and begin water facility relocation in conjunction with North Washington Street Water and Sanitation District and Metro Water Recovery. Xcel Energy will also be working on power and gas line relocations. All business access will be maintained.
Other work later in Phase I includes: Crews will install a new storm sewer and finish water line work from Franklin to York.
- Ongoing relocation of water facilities.
- Roadway and sidewalk removals will begin on the south side of East 58th Avenue at York and continue westward.
Traffic Impacts – Phase I
- Shoulder closures will be in place from Aug. 1 until further notice.
- A minor lane shift will exist on the south side of East 58th Avenue at Franklin during tree removal.
- Starting in late August, East 58th Avenue will change to a single eastbound lane configuration between Franklin and York. This will remain in place until further notice. Once the Franklin to York single eastbound lane traffic shift begins, all westbound traffic will be detoured to East 64th Avenue. Alternate routes do exist.
- Detour signage will be in place for the recommended route to East 64th Avenue for westbound East 58th Avenue traffic (refer to map). Detour route (highlighted in orange) starting late August 2022. No westbound traffic permitted on East 58th Avenue from York to Franklin (highlighted in red).
- Construction signs and devices will be in place along the project corridor to alert motorists to the single eastbound lane configuration between Franklin and York.
- Speeds are reduced from 45 mph to 35 mph through the work zone.
- Caution is advised.
Phase II – February 2023 to October 2023
- Continue water facility relocations.
- Sewer and storm sewer main installations.
- Wall construction.
- Roadway widening and improvements – north side of E 58th Avenue – York to Washington.
- New traffic signal, street lighting, and electrical work site wide will begin.
- Curb and gutter, driveway apron, and flatwork will take place from York to Washington.
- Paving south side of East 58th Avenue,
Phase III – June 2023 to late 2023
- Finish water facility relocations.
- Finalize storm sewer main and laterals.
- Roadway widening and improvements – north side of E 58th Avenue – Washington to York.
- Curb and gutter, driveway aprons, flatwork, lighting, striping, landscaping, paving, final seeding and finishing work.
The county awarded the contract for this work to Hamon Infrastructure for $18.5 million in the 2022 budget. Construction began on Aug. 1, 2022, with an anticipated completion date of late 2023. The project duration is 450 calendar days.
Special Travel Advisory
Monday, Sept. 26 - Friday, Sept. 30 - Westbound East 58th Avenue - Emerson to Clarkson
Starting at 8 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 26 and lasting until approximately 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 30 , the following travel impacts will be in place:
- A westbound shoulder closure will be in place on East 58th Avenue from Emerson to Clarkson during water line work
- Traffic will be shifted south of the closed shoulder area to maintain safety to the traveling public and construction crews
- The shoulder closure will be in place 24/7 during this work
- Two-way traffic on East 58th Avenue from Emerson to Clarkson will be maintained
- All construction schedules are weather dependent and subject to change
|Crews working on the south side of E 58 Ave from Franklin to York||Eastbound view of E 58th Ave approaching Franklin||View of E 58th Ave west of Marion|